On November 15, 2020, United Chinese Americans (UCA), Mental Health Association for Chinese Communities, Chinese American Friendship Association of North Carolina, Chinese Healline New Media, Chinese Association of West Michigan, and Chinese Triagle church leaders co-organized a mental health webinar, “How to help our children who are suffering from mental illness and promote emotional wellness.” 606 participants from 37 states and international regions attended the webinar, which was conducted in Mandarin Chinese. The event featured a strong lineup of speakers and panelists including: licensed psychologist Rev & Dr. Serena Lin; psychiatrist Dr. Jackson Chiu; parent and advocate Ms. Elaine Peng; and youth ambassadors Tim He and Alice Cai. The webinar was moderated by Ms. Lily Chen (NCCU nursing faculty member) and Prof. Pao-Hwa Lin (Duke Medical School faculty member). During the webinar, the speakers focused on mental illness classification education; the three panelists shared powerful personal stories. The event was well attended and received, yielding valuable data from the webinar participants and the public.
- Over 200 questions were asked from pre/post surveys and live chats.
- During a live polling, 236 participants chose “educational conference webinars” as the top choice for community needs, and “parent-child communication” as the top choice for personal needs.
- Over 500 people watched the webinar recording in less than a week : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ps8h3f-tKM&app=desktop
- The event was reported by The World Journal, the largest Chinese Newspaper in the U.S. (https://cms.wj411.com/portal/index/newshare_weibo.jsp?id=2317863&source=7) ; and The Bulletin of Chinese Americans in North Carolina, the largest Chinese Newspaper in NC. (https://www.52hrtt.com/webservicepage_getInformationPage.do?id=D1605674167276&areaId=134&languageId=1&flag=1) The article has reached a readership of over 50,000+.
- Here is a link to the UCA’s official Chinese report of the webinar: https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/-ZRW3fC1JM5hzO7ybUSe9A